School governors are members of a school’s Governing Body. They have responsibility for raising school standards through their three key roles:
- providing strategic leadership
- holding the Headteacher to account for the performance of pupils and the performance management of staff
- overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
Until Mid-2017, the Full Governing Body was supported by two committees:
- Resources – responsible for overseeing the school budget and anything related to the budget (e.g building, maintenance and staff recruitment)
- Standards & Curriculum – responsible for ensuring that the school follows the National and School Curriculum; that academic and behaviour standards are met and improved; that monitoring and evaluation takes place; and that the special educational needs of children are met.
Since Mid-2017, for a trial period of one year, the Governing Body have moved to a single-unit Governing Body with no committees. As a result, the Governing Body will meet for at least six full meetings during the 2017-18 year.
In addition, some Governors have taken lead roles in monitoring certain aspects, such as SEN, Health and Safety, or PE. Governors also attend school events and activities, e.g. Parents’ Evening, or Tea & Toast.
If you wish to contact the governors to ask a question, raise a concern/complaint or to give positive feedback please contact Mrs Nicki Wadley, Chair of Governors, via firstname.lastname@example.org